Re: Policy or best practices for debug packages?

On Mon, Jul 07, 2008 at 05:39:00PM +0200, Mike Hommey wrote:
> There are 3 kind of people who need -dbg packages.
> - Users, when they are asked to provide proper backtraces in bug reports
> - Developers, when they need to debug stuff
> - Maintainers
>
> Obviously, the latter will be able to get the sources themselves, so do
> the second, most of the time, though the debian/rules patch thing might be
> a problem, especially when you need to install cdbs or some other stuff to
> get it working (only to apply dumb patches, d'uh).

Well, maybe the dpkg-source 3.0 package formats will make this easier.
It should would be nice if there was a standardized debian/rules
target which would unpack the source tarballs and apply any necessary
patches, such that the sources were in a state usable by gdb, though.

And there was a way that something like "apt-get source" would
automatically run the rule, perhaps on an appropriate command-line
option, even better.

> And she won't have a core for the
> previous crash because the default is not to core (and BTW, it's uselessly
> made difficult to override this, see #487879).

I just looked at this bug, and are you sure this isn't because you
have this configured in /etc/security/limits.conf?

						- Ted