Re: Not stopping daemons, where are we?

* Bernd Eckenfels

| In article <[🔎] 20080705063643.GB24276@p12n.org> you wrote:
| > Why are all of you talking as though sending SIGTERM were not the
| > standard way to tell a process to save its state and exit gracefully?
|
| Thats not the point. It is a quesion of sequence. When you get the killall5
| sigterm, then everybody else also gets it. Especially maybe your file
| service server. So you might not able to save.

If the local admin introduces other dependencies than what can
reasonably be set as defaults, he should also make sure to adjust
dependency and stop-level headers in init scripts.  If he fails to do
that, he might break his system, just like if he doesn't take care
when doing all other kinds of maintenance to the system.

We can give the admin reasonable tools to do his job, but we can't do
it for him, nor can we divine any setup that an admin might come up
with and which might confuse the tools we have provided.

--
Tollef Fog Heen