Re: Clarify what "sensible behaviour" is for init scripts

El Viernes, 4 de Julio de 2008, Raphael Hertzog escribió:
> Ok, this confirms my initial feeling. Changing this in dpkg would require
> a wide-scale testing and much effort for little gains since the policy
> already require packages to behave sensibly.

It seems that some services return 0 and others 1 in the same case:

# lighttpd running:
~# /etc/init.d/lighttpd start ; echo $?
 * Starting web server lighttpd
[fail]
1

# apache2 running:
~# /etc/init.d/apache2 start ; echo $?
 * Starting web server apache2 httpd (pid 8877) already running
 [ OK ]
0

> Iñaki, if you ever encounter
> bad init scripts, please report bugs against the offending packages.

In the above case which is the "bad" init script?:
- lighttpd uses LSB specs.
- apache2 uses Debian specs.

Regards.

--