Re: ITP: debian-backports-keyring -- GnuPG archive key of the backports.org repository

On Wed, Jul 02, 2008 at 08:34:31PM +1000, Ben Finney wrote:
> Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org> writes:

> > The real issue is not that you [Francesco Poli] were posting without
> > disclaimers.

> The issue that led to those disclaimers was *exactly* that some
> thought Francesco should make it clear he is not speaking officially.

Well, it's the same thing really - adding the disclaimers is one (poor)
way of addressing...

> > When someone posts to debian-legal asking for help figuring out if a
> > license is ok for Debian main, and you respond saying that it isn't
> > because of license feature X; and you are well aware that the
> > ftpmasters have previously and consciously accepted other licenses
> > into main with that same feature, and have not been swayed by your
> > arguments; that's not appropriate.

...the problems with him making statements that sound more authorative
than they should be.

> Perhaps so. But that's not the issue that led to Francesco habitually
> appending disclaimers to his messages.

Ideally there'd be no need for such disclaimers because the content of
posts wouldn't create misleading impressions.