Re: Not stopping daemons, where are we?

On Tue, 2008-07-01 at 14:42 +0200, Bernd Eckenfels wrote:
> In article <[🔎] 1214912655.6931.45.camel@flash> you wrote:
> > As I understand it, there is nothing magic about the approach taken, it
> > just doesn't install the symlinks for rc0.d and rc6.d, and expects that
> > the process will be cleaned up. It also reflects this in the LSB
> > headers, so systems which use that information should also do the same
> > thing.
>
> This is all fine, but what about daemons which have dependencies on remote
> filesystems without declaration? Apache comes to mind, which often may run
> on a Network filesystem. If killing all processes at the shutdown does not
> observe the priority/ordering of the daemons this might kill the filesystem
> thread before apache can write out pending data.

There is no such proposal to do this for all daemons. That's why the
defaults have not changed and the individual packages must do it.

Quoting https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Teardown which I referenced in my
previous mail:

  Apache: Performs a controlled shut down of the running Apache web
  server. While a web server is normally not likely to have unflushed
  writes, modules such as mod_perl, mod_python and PHP might; so it's
  important that we do allow a controlled shutdown.

Thanks,

James