Temporary work-around (for modprobe spamming syslog; request for another opinion)

On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 01:35:21AM +0300, Sami Liedes wrote:
> Of course I might be mistaken and there is a better solution, one that
> does not involve modifying or configuring every application,
> recompiling the kernel, or doing extreme things like deleting the
> module.

It has been suggested to me in a private email in response to my query
in this list that adding the line

  install ipv6 /bin/true

to /etc/modprobe.d/local is a temporary workaround for this bug.

Still, *this* is a hack, while I haven't still heard a reason why
using the blacklist command to (gasp!) blacklist a module would be
one. By quick googling, it's apparently also what some other
distributions (Ubuntu) do by default (see [1], which is actually the
same bug as this, caused by the very same Debian-specific patch), so I
assume it cannot really cause too big breakage.

Marco, would it be too much asked that you explain in a short sentence
or two what logging a message every time someone tries to load a
blacklisted module is good for? You must have had some reason to
(write and) apply that patch, I assume.

To me it seems that not loading a blacklisted module is perfectly
normal system behavior, and so definitely is applications probing for
optional kernel features. To me it seems that this Debian-specific
change only serves to make the system less maintainable by drowning
the admin in useless information (100 log messages per minute in some
cases!), but I'd be glad to hear why I'm wrong.

	Sami

[1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/module-init-tools/+bug/66423