Re: Mixing dbconfig and gconf

On Mon, Jun 30, 2008, Neil Williams wrote:
> Only for certain settings related to installed package selection. Much
> like the system user for MySQL and PostgreSQL installations - in effect,
> it is used to tell the IDE which backends are installed and the
> configuration for each. Rather than ask the admin every time a new
> backend is installed, each backend can use the one dbconfig config.

 Ok, then one problem with it is that as soon as the user will have
 gconf settings in place different from the default, any updates to the
 default wont be visible anymore.  It all depends how you layer your
 settings and all, but it's quite likely that either you hide the
 settings or don't make use of GConf at all.

 Say you install mysql, launch the IDE, configure a DB, install
 postgresql, remove mysql, launch the IDE, want to configure a new DB:
 you don't see the new settings.

 Not quite sure you want GConf for such data passing though.

> >  I wouldn't recommend running gconftool-2 directly though,
> >  unless you would do so in a very controlled location of the gconf path
> >  which /etc instead really.
>
> I don't follow - currently, the schema goes into:
> /usr/share/gconf/schemas/estron-gnome.schemas
>
> What do you mean about a gconf path from /etc ?

 Hmm so you change the schema itself, means it's not static data
 anymore; I'd rather recommend using the gconf-defaults mechanism we
 have in place which provides a nicer override mechanism -- if you're
 changing only the defaults that is.

> There is no user-specific config

 (That seems quite far from the GConf use case)

--
Loïc Minier