Re: Mixing dbconfig and gconf

On Mon, Jun 30, 2008, Neil Williams wrote:
> Is this a sane use of dbconfig and gconf?

 I might misunderstand what you're doing, but I think you're setting up
 GConf default systme-wide.  Usage of GConf for system wide
 configuration (of default databases) is a bit weird, but it's valid, as
 long as you only set system wide things such as system gconf defaults
 or system gconf mandatory settings.  Perhaps one way to do this is to
 seed a /usr/share/gconf/defaults/foo file and run update-gconf-defaults
 after that.  I wouldn't recommend running gconftool-2 directly though,
 unless you would do so in a very controlled location of the gconf path
 which /etc instead really.

> Do I really need to write a Gtk wizard instead?

 I don't think db configuration needs to happen system wide; I'd rather
 expect each user to have per project database settings so it would seem
 to me it's that a real UI to configure such stuff per-user and
 per-project would be useful anyway.

> I'd still like to use dbconfig, so I would still end up using both
> dbconfig (in Debian) and gconf (upstream) *as well as the wizard* which
> would have to know how to get Debian-specific config data instead of
> asking the user again so it would need to support some kind of
> command-line configuration option to say "got config already in file
> blah". Seems like a lot of work to me.
>
> I get the impression dbconfig is geared more towards Web2.0 type stuff
> rather than compiled programs.

 Not quite sure why you target using dbconfig; I had the impression it
 was mostly aimed at setting up packages, not for per-user data.

--
Loïc Minier