Re: Handling macro change in an exported library header

* Russ Allbery [Thu, 26 Jun 2008 17:08:56 -0700]:

> Nikita Youshchenko <yoush@debian.org> writes:

> >> If the expr had a bug and old binaries didn't work with the old library
> >> then I would say that requires and shlibs bump, possibly a versioned
> >> conflicts against all rdepends and binNMUs.

> > As far as I understand, as soon as source uses the affected macro,
> > binary is broken if compiled against unfixed version of the library,
> > regardless of what library (fixed or unfixed) it links against at
> > runtime.

> In that case, the ABI did actually change, and the SONAME needs to be
> increased.

> The SONAME doesn't have to be increased only if existing binaries compiled
> with the old library will continue to work with the new library.

Existing binaries compiled with the old library continue to work just
the *same* against the new library; with "just the same" being: bogusly.
(Just remember it's a pre-processor macro that had the bug, not the
library itself.)

Cheers,

Adeodato Simó                                     dato at net.com.org.es
Debian Developer                                  adeodato at debian.org

When all is summed up, a man never speaks of himself without loss; his
accusations of himself are always believed; his praises never.
                -- Michel de Montaigne