RE: unifont - consensus on dependencies

Drake,

I didn't specify...yes, all of these dependencies are only for
Build-Depends.

Is it best to add "Build-Depends: xfonts-utils" even if all a package
needs from xfont-utils is bdftopcf?

I am aware of the /usr/share/fonts/truetype directory.  I've been
running Sarge, and it is there.  However, that is not under the X11
fonts tree.  If I place a font in /usr/share/fonts/truetype, is it still
legitimate to claim a font as being in section "main/x11"?  If not, what
is the preferred section?  The Debian Policy Manual, Chapter 11, doesn't
mention TrueType font policy.

I could conceivably create multiple packages, for example:

     - the TrueType font (most people will probably just want this and
nothing else); this could be called "unifont-ttf"

     - All sources to build the unifont.hex, TrueType, PCF, and BDF
versions of the font; this package could be called "unifont"

The TrueType font is larger than anything else: approximately 16
Megabytes uncompressed.  That doesn't include an SBIT table, which I
might add in the future.  I might work on the outline encoding in the
future to reduce that size.  The TrueType font is 3 Mbytes compressed.
The entire source tree is about 15 Megabytes uncompressed, and less than
3 Megabytes compressed.

I could have the "unifont" package contain the pre-built TrueType font
plus all sources.  It takes about an hour plus 1 Gigabyte of virtual
memory to build the TrueType version with FontForge.

I could even forego the PCF font, which has never existed for the GNU
Unifont, unless there is an application that still must use PCF.  In
that case there wouldn't be a Build-Depends for "bdftopcf".  I put work
into getting the combining characters working properly (with zero width)
in the TrueType version.  The BDF version doesn't have that capability,
and so neither would a PCF version.

Paul Hardy
unifoundry@unifoundry.com
GPG Key ID: E6E6E390