Re: esound

jidanni@jidanni.org wrote:
All I know is on my stripped down computer with no speakers (except
for the boot beep beeper), I asked myself: why can I dpkg-purge
esound-clients, but then if I do apt-get dist-upgrade (vs.
dselect-upgrade), it gets installed back again?

Well it turns out esound-clients is depended on by libesd0 which
removing would cause
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  gnumeric gnuplot gnuplot-mode gnuplot-nox gnuplot-x11 icewm
  libbonoboui2-0 libesd0 libgnome2-0 libgnomeui-0 libgoffice-0-6
  libwxgtk2.6-0

So no easy way to say, "I don't have sound on this device, so no need
to install sound items".

Interesting. In unstable:

libgnome2-0 depends on libesd0 (>= 0.2.35) | libesd-alsa0 (>= 0.2.35)
ibesd0 recommends esound-clients libesd-alsa0 recommends esound-clients

(note this is only a recommends, not depends, should possibly be a suggests)

In Ubunty Hardy the first depends doesn't appear to exist.

Brian May