[Date Prev][Date Next] [Thread Prev][Thread Next] [Date Index] [Thread Index]

Re: Considerations for lilo removal


On Mon, 2008-06-16 at 00:31 -0500, William Pitcock wrote:
> [a lot of stuff]

As many people have brought up usecases not covered by alternatives, the
plan seems to be:

* Cope with the growing initramfs issue as best we can, e.g. by
displaying a warning to the user that the kernel may not be bootable by
lilo due to the 8MiB boundry in liloconfig. An upload is already
prepared to do exactly this, and is pending a merge with some
translation updates which have not all been received yet. At that point,
an upload will hit incoming and a fixed lilo will hit Debian in time for
Lenny's freeze (whenever that may be). On another note, if you want to
improve the translations for lilo in Lenny, you have 4 days to get them
into the upload that will be made.

* Possibly revisit this issue if this outcome is not enough for Lenny+1.
We will probably be revisiting this issue because working around bugs is
not really the greatest way of handling them. By then, it is hopeful
that grub or grub2 can be adapted to handle any missing features not
provided already.

Thank you all for your feedback, it has been helpful for determining how
to handle the situation.


Attachment: signature.asc
Description: This is a digitally signed message part

Reply to: