Re: Triggers in menu

On Wed, 4 Jun 2008, Joey Hess wrote:

That would prevent update-menus from being run if a package was
installed not using apt.

Yes, this is correct.  But what is actually the advantage of calling
update-menus using triggers instead of doing it in the postinst.
I always assumed that triggers would care for calling a programm
at the right time (in the case of update-menus I would regard the
right time either at the end of a dpkg or an apt run) but definitely
not every time /usr/{lib,share}/menu is touched.  Currently the
usage of triggers leads rather to more than to less calls of update-menus
while only one is really needed (except I'm missing something).

Kind regards

        Andreas.

--
http://fam-tille.de