Re: dbus and initscripts

On Mon, Jun 02, 2008 at 08:44:06PM +0200, Richard Atterer wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 02, 2008 at 07:34:22PM +0200, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> > - Stuff is broken, and I want to debug. This debugging might involve
> >   "stopping and starting services one at a time". The current dbus setup
> >   makes this impossible.
>
> Personally, I find the current behaviour useful in the following situation:
> More frequently than I would like, something about Gnome is broken:

Well, but then gnome...
... no, I won't bite.

> Nautilus doesn't mount my USB stick or NetworkManager doesn't want to
> connect to the WLAN. In those cases, it's convenient to just get things
> going quickly by restarting all of dbus.

Perhaps, but that's only a short-term stop-gap "fix". Personally, I
prefer to figure out *why* stuff is broken (what exactly causes the
broken behaviour) and to file bugs, if necessary.

Having said that, nowhere in my mail did I say this kind of behaviour
cannot be useful. I'll be the first to admit that at times, it can be
useful to just restart all of one particular subsystem. What I'm arguing
is that this should *not* be the *default* behaviour, with (apparently)
no way to turn it off.

  -- #debian-devel, Freenode, 2004-09-22