Re: 37.5% boot time reduction in Lenny is possible (recipe)

On Sat, May 31, 2008 at 12:22:36PM +0200, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> Benefits may greatly varry.
> For this slowest 2+GHz 8 core server of the world make that 5 minutes
> 48 seconds to 5 minutes 30 seconds here or 5% speed increase. And yes,
> this slowest 2+GHz 8 core server of the world does take that long to
> boot, mainly bios ram test and scsi probing. Never seen a server count
> its ram so slow.
> And you get that once or twice a year. Not sure if the risk of
> breaking things is worth that optimization.

Parallel startup actually made a system I work with take longer to start
up so I certainly turned that off again.

Ignoring the time spent by the bios (can't change that after all), it
went from 29 to 33 seconds with parallel startup scripts.

Len Sorensen