Re: Handling of removed packages

On Thu May 29 2008 16:58:41 Russ Allbery wrote:
> Mike Bird <mgb-debian@yosemite.net> writes:
> > Many people do extra levels of testing before
> > rolling out updates with "dpkg -i".  With "apt-get"
> > you never know when the package lists will be updated.
>
> Uh... the package lists are updated when you run apt-get update.  I must
> be missing something.

ssh test-box
 apt-get update
 apt-get upgrade
 tests
ssh live-server
 apt-get update
 ... sometimes gets a slightly different package list

The only time we use apt-get is as a convenience when testing different
package versions.

All packages on live servers and workstations are installed with
"dpkg -i" to ensure we're using a tested combination.  We could
manually copy the package lists or "apt-get install foo=x.y.z"
but "dpkg -i" is more convenient.

--Mike Bird