Re: Availability of debian changelogs

On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 03:53:48PM +0100, Don Armstrong wrote:
> On Tue, 27 May 2008, Eugene V. Lyubimkin wrote:
> >  It's not convenient to download 20M only for viewing a changelog -
> > i want look at changelog to decide, should i upgrade this package or
> > no.
>
> In general you will be able to view them using packages.debian.org.
> There is just a delay while packages.debian.org rebuilds the
> changelogs. If that delay is unacceptable, then getting the package
> itself is the way around it. Otherwise, you can wait for p.d.o to
> catch up.

An additional note:

Due to the OpenSSL problem the sync of the mirror on packages.debian.org
was non-functional for a week or so. So there might have been some
unusual delays last week. Generally the time until the changelog is
available currently can't be faster than a few hours due to the
mirroring delays. This really only could be changed by building the
changelogs out of incoming. If someone convinces ftp-masters that this
is a good idea and implements it, be my guest.

Gruesse,
--
Frank Lichtenheld <djpig@debian.org>
www: http://www.djpig.de/