Re: Large data packages in the archive

Le Sun, May 25, 2008 at 08:18:01PM +0200, Joerg Jaspert a écrit :
> Basic Problem: "What to do with large data packages?"
>
> That already has a problem: How to define "large"? One way, which we
> chose for now, is simply "everything > 50MB".

(...)

>  - It is an own archive, so it needs full source uploads to work,
>    every data package you create will be a full source package and you
>    have to split the source between this archive and the rest that goes
>    into the normal Debian one.

Hi Joerg, thanks for getting things moving.

I have a question about the sources: for big datasets, would it be
acceptable that the source package does not contain the data itself but
only a script to download it? Since the source packages are not to be
autobuilt and the binary packages only available through download,
depending on Internet at build time seem to me to be acceptable. (The
goal is of course to save space and upload time).

(By the way, there is a short summary of last year's discussions on the
wiki: http://wiki.debian.org/DataPackages)

Have a nice day,

--
Charles