Re: possible mass-bug filing on fc-cache-using packages

also sprach brian m. carlson <sandals@crustytoothpaste.ath.cx> [2008.05.20.1321 +0100]:
> I could be wrong, but if the subshell exits 1, then the entire
> expression is false, and so if you are using "set -e" like you're
> supposed to, then the postinst fails.

The policy mentions it, but it doesn't say set -e is required.
ttf-bitstream-vera does not use it.

> ttf-bitstream-vera isn't using set -e, which is probably a bug.  ISTR
> that policy dictated set -e.

I don't think so, section 6.1:

  or shell scripts this means that you almost always need to use set
  -e (this is usually true when writing shell scripts, in fact).

This, to me, is waste of space in a policy document.

also sprach Josselin Mouette <joss@debian.org> [2008.05.20.1323 +0100]:
> Le mardi 20 mai 2008 à 12:05 +0100, martin f krafft a écrit :
> >   if [ "$1" = configure -a -x /usr/bin/fc-cache ]
>
> Note -that the "$1" = configure check is wrong, see #446856.

Also, the -a is a bashism, isn't it?

> Since the postinst uses set -e, it will also exit it.

It does not.

> > But instead of having everyone fix this, I wonder
> > why debhelper isn't taking care of this. Thoughts?
>
> This is not needed anymore. Fontconfig should manage this through a
> trigger, removing entirely those snippets.

Okay, that should make it easier... :)

"it isn't pollution that's harming the environment.
 it's the impurities in our air and water that are doing it."
                                                          - dan quayle