Re: divergence from upstream as a bug

'morning Neil and everybody. So many mails to read for breakfast!

Le Sun, May 18, 2008 at 03:51:18PM +0100, Neil Williams a écrit :
> proposal:
>
> nnn-fixed@bugs.debian.org | (Fixes: #nnn)
> 	marks the bug as fixed by a patch added by Debian and
> 	awaiting a new release upstream to be finally closed.
> 	nnn-fixed is ignored if the upstream tag is not already
> 	set. Bugs can be fixed in the changelog of an upload using
> 	(Fixes: #1234) in a similar manner to (Closes: #1234). The
> 	principle usage of "fixed" is to denote points at which
> 	Debian diverges from upstream. Filenames of patch files must
> 	be clearly identified when using (Fixes: #1234) in the
> 	changelog.

Even simpler: Fixes: #nnn downgrades the severity to wishlist, adds "To
be merged upstream:" to the subject, and sends a message saying "This
bug has been fixed by patching the original sources; we will forward
this patch to the upstream authors and close this bug report when
upgrading the Debian package to an upstream source in which the patch
has been merged or obsoleted".

This does not offer all the functionalities one could dream of, but it
may be the easiest start, especially that it can be performed by hand.
(Which I am considering doing for the packages I maintain).

> With suitable changes in debchange, we could have:
>
> $ dch -a --fixes 1234 "Add 090_missing_stdlib_h.patch"
> ... time passes, new upstream release made...
> $ dch -a --closes 1234
>
> Simple.

I like it :)

Have nice day,