Re: Tracking divergence from upstream as a bug

Ben Finney <bignose+hates-spam@benfinney.id.au> writes:
> Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> writes:

>> (And then an automatic system closing any I forget to mention would be
>> nice.)

> What information would trigger such automation, in the absence of you
> noting it as such in the changelog entry?

For a patch that we know was included in the Debian package at some point,
it may be as simple as checking the patch against the *.diff.gz in the
current Debian package.  If all of its hunks are no longer present, the
patch is probably no longer being applied (although you may miss some
complex merges).  Obviously this doesn't work with a source package format
that breaks out the patches, but in that case you can trawl debian/patches
and make sure you don't see a similar patch any more.

If you want to more generally check whether a patch has already been
applied without knowing if it had been included in the Debian package in
the past or not, you can try seeing if it will apply to the current
upstream reversed.  That will miss a lot of cases, but it will probably
catch the majority of them.