Re: How to handle Debian patches

On Sat, May 17, 2008 at 11:51:22AM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> On Sat, 17 May 2008 11:40:43 +0200, Josselin Mouette <joss@debian.org> said:
>
> > Le vendredi 16 mai 2008 à 17:08 -0500, Manoj Srivastava a écrit :
> >> diffing the tips of branches in a SCM has been far more friendly.  So
> >> I find my old and new SCM's preferable to a quilt series -- since any
> >> feature can be compared to any other feature, or upstream,
> >> independently, and easily; this is terribly hard to do with quilt.
>
> > Diffing the tips of branches in a SCM will not show you which lines
> > were changed by which changeset. If you want that information - which
> > is one of the most useful ones, because the same file can be changed
> > for many different purposes - you need to browse your SCM's history,
> > in which changesets are dependent on each other. Just like quilt
> > patches.
>
>         I think you need to look at man git-blame. Or baz annotate. Or
>  hg annotate.  Or svn annotate. Or even cvs annotate.
>
>         Gee, I guess RCS does not have the functionality, but how many
>  people  use RCS for version control?

OT, but while pristine RCS doesn't have that, there is a tool to just do
it for RCS managed files:
http://blame.sourceforge.net/

>         So no, modern SCMs do let you find out about who changed what
>  line, though in practice I have rarely, if ever, used it.

What could be useful, and doesn't exist, though, is a functionality to
blame diffs (i.e. something displaying in what commits a line removal or
a line addition happened).

Mike