Re: How to handle Debian patches

On Sat, 17 May 2008 11:40:43 +0200, Josselin Mouette <joss@debian.org> said:

> Le vendredi 16 mai 2008 à 17:08 -0500, Manoj Srivastava a écrit :
>> diffing the tips of branches in a SCM has been far more friendly.  So
>> I find my old and new SCM's preferable to a quilt series -- since any
>> feature can be compared to any other feature, or upstream,
>> independently, and easily; this is terribly hard to do with quilt.

> Diffing the tips of branches in a SCM will not show you which lines
> were changed by which changeset. If you want that information - which
> is one of the most useful ones, because the same file can be changed
> for many different purposes - you need to browse your SCM's history,
> in which changesets are dependent on each other. Just like quilt
> patches.

        I think you need to look at man git-blame. Or baz annotate. Or
 hg annotate.  Or svn annotate. Or even cvs annotate.

        Gee, I guess RCS does not have the functionality, but how many
 people  use RCS for version control?

        So no, modern SCMs do let you find out about who changed what
 line, though in practice I have rarely, if ever, used it.

        Is there a quilt annotate/blame around?

        manoj
--
"Someone's been mean to you! Tell me who it is, so I can punch him
tastefully." Ralph Bakshi's Mighty Mouse