Re: RFS: figtoipe

On Sat, 17 May 08 11:30, Vincent Bernat wrote:
> OoO En cette fin de matinée  radieuse du samedi 17 mai 2008, vers 11:17,
> Alexander Bürger <acfbuerger@googlemail.com> disait:
>
> >> When using Conflicts and having  files in common with the other package,
> >> you need Replaces  as well. Otherwise, during upgrade,  the user may see
> >> error messages  about your  package trying to  erase files owned  by the
> >> other (not yet removed) package.
>
> > So what do you think about section 7.5 in the policy manual? As I said,
> > to me it is confusing. It does not explicitly say that Replaces: must
> > come together with Conflicts:, it sounds more like there are different
> > meanings if it is alone (replace only some files) or with Conflicts:
> > (replace whole package).
>
> Hi Alexander!
>
> [This message is about using Replaces without Conflicts]
>
> I am not sure  either. As you noted, the policy does  not say to not use
> it alone,  but this just seems odd  to me. Let's hope  that someone else
> will enlighten us on this matter.

Replaces must not come with Conflicts.
Consider a package foo which contains a lot of architecture independent
files. One day you decide to split the arch independent files into a new
package foo-data. foo-data will replace the old foo package, but there
is no need to conflict with it.

You just need a conflict, when the package where the common file
originally comes from must be gone, after you installed your package.

HTH
Armin