ITP: initng -- full replacement of the old sysvinit init system

Package: wnpp
Severity: wishlist
Owner: David Paleino <d.paleino@gmail.com>

(CCing debian-devel@ for comments on this)

* Package name    : initng
  Version         : 0.6.10.2
  Upstream Author : Jimmy Wennlund <jimmy.wennlund@gmail.com>
                    Ismael Luceno <ismael@initng.org>
* URL             : http://www.initng.org/
* License         : GNU GPL v2+
  Programming Lang: C
  Description     : full replacement of the old sysvinit init system

Hi,
I'd like to reintroduce into Debian the initng package, since I've been using
it for years and it didn't cause too much problems (yet, it's not as stable as
sysvinit during upgrades, but does its job).

It has been removed some time ago from the archive:

[Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2007 22:58:03 +0000] [ftpmaster: Joerg Jaspert] Removed the
following packages from experimental:

    initng |    0.3.0-1 | arm, powerpc, s390
    initng |    0.5.2-1 | source, alpha, hppa, i386, ia64, m68k, mips, mipsel,
sparc Closed bugs: 435127

------------------- Reason -------------------
RoM: obsolete; inactive upstream; buggy

I'd like to argument on those reasons.

Firstly, it's not obsolete, since we only have sysvinit available (if we had
upstart, or something similar to initng, I could've agreed here -- and upstart
in Debian is way more experimental than initng).

Secondly, upstream isn't "inactive". It has just slown down a bit; a fact is the
release of initng-ifiles just yesterday (Apr 13, 2008).

Thirdly, it's not that buggy. I've been using it since version 0.3.$something
(I believe; well, it's been a long time ago), and it didn't give me much
problems. Sometimes happened that an upgrade failed (probably it could be
handled better via postinst), so I had to reboot with sysvinit to fix
things up (both systems can cohexist! :)).

I'm thus filing an ITP for initng (I'll soon file one for initng-ifiles, since
they have different sources). I've CCed debian-devel@lists.debian.org for
comments on this ITP.

Kindly,
David