Re: Debian Configuration Packaging System

On Sat, Apr 12, 2008 at 12:48:01PM -0500, Steve Greenland wrote:
> On 11-Apr-08, 16:07 (CDT), Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org> wrote:
> > I humbly offer up samba-common in unstable as an example of a package that
> > DTRT with ucf to manage a config file.

> Is it just me, or does everyone get prompted twice about smb.conf on
> samba/samba-common upgrades? (I've looked through the various install
> and config scripts, but not closely enough to figure out why...)

On your first upgrade to the ucf-based samba-common, you may get two prompts
- first to reconcile the differences with your smb.conf which doesn't match
the known old template, and then to merge in the smb.conf from the current
package.

There's room for improvement on the first pass by doing a better job of
matching up the user's config with past smb.conf templates (which mostly
means doing some scary package archaeology), but the history of this config
file spans more than a decade, so there will definitely be users for whom we
can't help but prompt twice on the first upgrade.