Re: exim, local resolver, host name lookups and IPv6

On Sat, 12 Apr 2008 11:32:32 +0200, "Bernhard R. Link"
<brlink@debian.org> wrote:
>* Marc Haber <mh+debian-devel@zugschlus.de> [080412 10:30]:
>> >I don't think that is only limited to additional lookups. I think I've
>> >also seen a message not being sent on etch, because the target host
>> >also had a AAAA record. (At least I think that is the reason, after
>> >disabling ipv6 in exim4.conf it was sent).
>> I'd call that a bug, since exim should have a "destination
>> unreachable" error upon trying to open the IPv6 connection in absence
>> of a IPv6 default route.
>I'd consider that a bug, too. What it should do is use the IPv4 address
>of the target host instead.

It'll do that after not reaching the IPv6 address.

>> The only lookup that is still visible on the network (and only in some
>> cases that I haven't yet fully nailed down) is an AAAA lookup for the
>> local host name on exim startup.
>Yes, "localhost" requests are not visible on the network, as long as there
>is a localhost ipv6 address in /etc/hosts. What I cannot recall is how good
>Debian is/was in also adding those items on upgrade. Perhaps not having
>that line in there was a user error.

An example /etc/hosts file created by d-i is in the message that
started this thread. We create for localhost and
localhost.localdomain, for the host name and FQDN given on
installation, but not analogous entry for ipv6.