Re: exim, local resolver, host name lookups and IPv6

On Sat, 12 Apr 2008 11:32:32 +0200, "Bernhard R. Link"
<brlink@debian.org> wrote:
>* Marc Haber <mh+debian-devel@zugschlus.de> [080412 10:30]:
>> >I don't think that is only limited to additional lookups. I think I've
>> >also seen a message not being sent on etch, because the target host
>> >also had a AAAA record. (At least I think that is the reason, after
>> >disabling ipv6 in exim4.conf it was sent).
>>
>> I'd call that a bug, since exim should have a "destination
>> unreachable" error upon trying to open the IPv6 connection in absence
>> of a IPv6 default route.
>
>I'd consider that a bug, too. What it should do is use the IPv4 address
>of the target host instead.

It'll do that after not reaching the IPv6 address.

>> The only lookup that is still visible on the network (and only in some
>> cases that I haven't yet fully nailed down) is an AAAA lookup for the
>> local host name on exim startup.
>
>Yes, "localhost" requests are not visible on the network, as long as there
>is a localhost ipv6 address in /etc/hosts. What I cannot recall is how good
>Debian is/was in also adding those items on upgrade. Perhaps not having
>that line in there was a user error.

An example /etc/hosts file created by d-i is in the message that
started this thread. We create 127.0.0.1 for localhost and
localhost.localdomain, 127.0.1.1 for the host name and FQDN given on
installation, but not analogous entry for ipv6.

Greetings
Marc