Re: Announcing Dolt, a drop-in Libtool replacement which cutsbuild times in half

> On Wed, Apr 09, 2008 at 03:34:18AM -0700, Josh Triplett wrote:
> (...)
>> Thus, I wrote Dolt, a drop-in replacement for libtool's compilation
>> mode.  Dolt runs any necessary system-specific or
>> configuration-specific logic as part of configure, writes out a simple
>> shell script "doltcompile"[1], and substitutes it for libtool in the
>> automake variables LTCOMPILE and LTCXXCOMPILE.  If you use automake,
>> autoconf, and libtool, then using Dolt just requires two steps:
> (...)
>
> Does it inherit that bad habit libtool has with reordering flags,
> such as -Wl,--as-needed ?

doltcompile does not reorder any flags passed to it; it merely
replaces the .lo filename with the appropriate object filename and
adds any necessary additional compiler flags (such as -fPIC -DPIC) to
the end of the command line.

dolt doesn't currently cover linking; libtool still does that.  Since
-Wl,--as-needed appears at link time, libtool may still mess with it.
If and when I create a doltlink, it will not reorder flags either.

- Josh Triplett