Re: changing the default syslog daemon for lenny?

Hi Michael,

(sorry for the bad quoting ratio, but I figured it's nice to bring back the
context...)

On Thursday 31 January 2008 00:11, Michael Biebl wrote:
> [...]
> sysklogd, so there is no problem here. For system-log-daemon I analyzed
> the packages depending on it:
>
> Suggests:
> 1.) xwatch: sysklogd
>      Besides a small example config file, there is nothing syklogd
>      specific in this package.
>      Should be changed to $default_syslog |    system-log-daemon
> 2.) jffnms: syslog-ng
>      Nothing syslog-ng specific in this package. Should be changed to
>      $preferred_syslog | system-log-daemon
>
> Recommends:
> 3.) anacron: sysklogd | system-log-daemon
> 4.) fcron: sysklogd | system-log-daemon
> 5.) heartbeat: sysklogd | syslog-ng | system-log-daemon
> 6.) ldirectord: sysklogd | syslog-ng
>      Should be changed to $preferred_syslog | system-log-daemon
> 7.) nullmailer: sysklogd | system-log-daemon
> 8.) rlinetd: sysklogd | system-log-daemon
> 9.) xinetd: sysklogd | system-log-daemon
>
> Depends:
> 10.) alamin-client: sysklogd | system-log-daemon
> 11.) alamin-mysql: sysklogd | system-log-daemon
> 12.) alamin-server: sysklogd | system-log-daemon
>       Uses syslog-facility in postinst/prerm. install will not fail if
>       syslog-facility is not present.
>       Easy to use a fixed syslog-facility or even better provide a
>       rsyslog.d snippet.
> 13.) alamin-smpp: sysklogd | system-log-daemon
> 14.) fwlogwatch: sysklogd | system-log-daemon
> 15.) inetutils-ftpd: inetutils-syslogd | system-log-daemon
> 16.) inetutils-inetd: inetutils-syslogd | system-log-daemon
> 17.) inetutils-talkd: inetutils-syslogd | system-log-daemon
> 18.) inetutils-telnetd: inetutils-syslogd | system-log-daemon
> 19.) klogd: sysklogd | system-log-daemon
> 20.) logcheck: sysklogd | system-log-daemon | syslog-ng
>       Has used syslogd-listfiles in postinst, was removed again 2002
> 21.) psad: syslogd | syslog-ng | metalog
>       Should be changed to $preferred_syslog | system-log-daemon
> 22.) request-tracker3.6: sysklogd | system-log-daemon
> 23.) snort: sysklogd | system-log-daemon
>       Has used syslogd-listfiles years again, was removed again
> 24.) snort-common: sysklogd | system-log-daemon
> 25.) snort-mysql: sysklogd | system-log-daemon
> 26.) snort-pgsql: sysklogd | system-log-daemon
> 27.) snort-rules-default: sysklogd | system-log-daemon
> 28.) sympa: sysklogd (>= 1.3-27) | system-log-daemon
>       Uses syslog-facility in postrm/postinst to setup a custom facility
>       to log to /var/log/sympa.log. Doesn't fail to install if
>       syslog-facility is not found, will log to /var/log/messages
>       instead. Could easily ship a rsyslog.d snippet.
>
> So, the only real showstopper is 21.), not having system-log-daemon as
> alternative, which makes it uninstallable with rsyslog.
>
> If there is consensus, I'd go on filing bugs (priority important)
> against 1.), 2.), 6.) and 21.), asking for changing the dependency to
> rsyslog | system-log-daemon (or if they don't agree with the rsyslog
> choice, their preferred system-log-daemon).

Did you file those bugs? Is there a usertag for them?

> For 12.) and 28.), I'd file a wishlist bug providing a config file
> snippet for /etc/rsyslog.d/
>
> And finally, if it is approved that rsyslog should be become the default
> system-log-daemon, I'd file wishlist bugs against the remaining packages
> to change the dependency to rsylog | system-log-daemon, where appropriate.
>
> > - Involve the rsyslog maintainer in the work
>
> I'm here and all ears. I'm willing to work on the necessary steps.

I'm still willing to help... :) (But as its obvious now, I have lost the
status on this..)

> > - Document the change by preparing a patch for the release notes
> > - Get the priorities fixed by a ftpmaster (assistant)
>
> Should, I file a lenny release goal first and wait for it's approval, or
> can I take this thread as consensus that I can pursue changing the
> default system-log-daemon to rsyslog?

Or was it already too late for this?

regards,
	Holger