Re: Installation of suggested packages: recursive or not?

On Sat, Mar 22, 2008 at 02:21:52PM +0900, Charles Plessy <charles-debian-nospam@plessy.org> was heard to say:
> Le Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 08:13:30AM -0700, Daniel Burrows a écrit :
> >
> >   BTW, aptitude already supports non-recursively installing Suggests, and
> > flagging them as manual at the same time: "~Rsuggests:^package$" will
> > install everything that's directly suggested by "package".
>
> Dear Daniel,
>
> Thanks for the suggestion. Do you think that there could be an option
> that does the same except that the package would be flagged "auto" ? If
> you are busy I can help updating the documentation. I would like to
> provide an easy to remember way to perform this task for the users of
> the packages I mentioned earlier (med-bio, t-coffee, bioperl).

  There could be.  In fact, you can get it now:

  "~Rsuggests:^package$+M"  (the "+M" means "install it and mark it
automatic")

  On the other hand, resurrecting "--with-suggests" would be a more
friendly way of doing this.  I think I would add a sanity-check to force
you to turn on "SuggestsImportant" in the config file first: if you
don't, the newly installed packages will be unused and the installs will
be immediately canceled.

  Daniel