Re: RFC: preventing accidental deletion of system directories

On Sat, 22 Mar 2008 15:50:32 -0500, William Pitcock
<nenolod@sacredspiral.co.uk> said:

> Hi,
> On Sat, 2008-03-22 at 13:51 +0100, Adam Borowski wrote:
>> To get those Vistaesque questions, "alias rm='rm -i'" is surely not
>> worth a package.  It's slightly larger in scope, but only slightly,
>> as removing files as root means you mess with system directories,
>> right?

> Yes, that's what I mean: what's wrong with making rm -i the default
> behaviour? We could do that by simply patching coreutils.

        That would be a disruptive change, and not something that I
 would appreciate. I do not want to be  lulled into a bad habit of not
 checking my rm commands, and then suffer when I am not on a Debian
 machine.

        The answer, of course, is backups.  That covers more
 contingencies than just fumble fingers by an admin.

        manoj
--
Youth is a disease from which we all recover. Dorothy Fuldheim