Re: Proposing a new source control header to link to upstream BTSs

Trying to answer some of the problems pointed out to my proposal...

On Mon, Mar 17, 2008 at 2:49 AM, Russ Allbery <rra@debian.org> wrote:

>  I think that if the goal is to support automated tools, pointing to
>  straight web pages isn't particularly useful without some additional
>  information.  At the least, I'd think we'd want to specify the type of bug
>  system that upstream is using so that any automated tools would know what
>  screen scraping or (hopefully) SOAP/REST interfaces they can use.

I thought about this too. But I guess that trying to model all the
many things that one can find is not realistically doable. An
alternative would be to use a watchfile-like system in which you
provide regexes to perform the necessary text-mangling, but it has the
disadvantage of being much more complex to give basic support to (I
have already worked on parsing watchfiles without using uscan...), and
that you need to extract a file from the source package to read the
information.

On the other hand, having the base pointer to the BTS, you can build
up tools that can parse some systems, and if you don't know about it,
you still have an URL.

On Mon, Mar 17, 2008 at 2:59 AM, Paul Wise <pabs@debian.org> wrote:

>  That sort of information (like watch files and homepages) changes
>  independently of the source package, so it would be better if it were
>  not added to debian/control.

Well, the watch file and the homepage are actually part of the source
package already. Also, I don't think that you'll find many upstreams
that change BTSs more often than releasing new versions.

On Mon, Mar 17, 2008 at 4:59 AM, Ralf Treinen <treinen@free.fr> wrote:

>  > It could be used to automatically forward bugs, [...]
>
>  I do not think that automatically forwarding bugs would be a good idea.

Sorry if I didn't choose the exact word, I meant something on the
lines of doing "bts submit-upstream-and-forward nnnnnn", without you
needing to go manually through all the hops that we have to go through
today.

--
Martín Ferrari