Re: dpkg semi-hijack - an announcement (also, triggers)

On Wed March 12 2008 10:26:52 Luk Claes wrote:
> Ian Jackson wrote:
> > It would be flogging a dead horse if we didn't have the core packaging
> > software maintained by an obstructive and naive programmer supported
> > by someone who is more interested in pretty revision logs than good
> > code.
>
> Confrontation is not going to solve this dispute in your advantage, on
> the contrary...

Luk,

Please recall that Ian wrote dpkg (replacing Murdock's earlier
PERL dpkg).  Ian knows dpkg better than any of the current team.

If a mini-cabal were senselessly blocking updates to one of my
babies because they preferred to spend their time indenting
and renaming unused parameters, I would have forked long before
six months had elapsed.  Ian has shown orders of magnitude more
patience than Raphael himself showed in his own dealings with
Andreas over developers-reference.

Ian appears to have chosen to speak truth to power rather than
forking.  Do you have a constructive alternative to suggest?

--Mike Bird