Re: actively notifying users of removed packages

Quoting Frans Pop (elendil@planet.nl):

> Or use the aptitude frontend for package management which will show such
> packages under the header "Obsolete and Locally Created Packages".

Thanks for reminding this very obvious feature which helped me
removing about 20 obsolete packages from my laptop.:-)

I support the idea of "something" in cron-apt, which popped elsewhere
in the thread.

For people worried about security problems in obsolete packages, I can
also recommend the use of the debsecan package which optionnaly mails
the local admin about packages with known security issues....and
explicitely mentioning those which are obsolete.