Re: actively notifying users of removed packages

On 11/03/08 at 05:23 -0700, Karl Chen wrote:
> I would like to bring up the issue of removed packages.  I think
> it is problematic that sometimes packages get removed, with no
> automatic transition [a transitional package, or another package
> depending on a replacement package or conflicting with the old
> one], and no active notification to the user.

To get the list of packages that are installed, but are no longer part
of the archive, I use
   apt-show-versions |grep 'No available version in archive'

If you are only interested in a few packages, you could subscribe to
them on the PTS. I recently worked on a script to notify PTS subscribers
('summary' keyword) when the package is orphaned or removed.  (see
#464021)