Re: actively notifying users of removed packages

Le mardi 11 mars 2008 à 05:23 -0700, Karl Chen a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> I would like to bring up the issue of removed packages.  I think
> it is problematic that sometimes packages get removed, with no
> automatic transition [a transitional package, or another package
> depending on a replacement package or conflicting with the old
> one], and no active notification to the user.

[SNIP]

> Thoughts?  What have I missed?  Existing solutions or non-problem?
> How can we move towards implementing something like this?  What
> other ideas are there for dealing with disappearing packages?

FYI, according to
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=464021 I suppose that
users having subscribed to packages in the PTS should now be notified of
such removals (which used not to be the case, and worried us a great
deal some weeks ago ;)

My 2 cents,

Best regards,
--