Re: ITP: aptlinex -- Web browser addon to install Debian packages with a click

El lun, 10-03-2008 a las 18:00 +0100, Michael Banck escribió:
> Hi,
>
> On Mon, Mar 10, 2008 at 05:40:16PM +0100, José L. Redrejo Rodríguez wrote:
> > Package: wnpp
> > Severity: wishlist
> > Owner: José L. Redrejo Rodríguez <jredrejo@debian.org>
> >
> >   Package name    : aptlinex
> >   Version         : 2.0
> >   Upstream Authors : Daniel Campos <dcampos@gmail.com> & José L. Redrejo
> > Rodríguez <jredrejo@debian.org>
> >   URL             : http://gata.linex.org/trac/browser/aptlinex
> >   License         : GPL
> >   Description     : Web browser addon to install Debian packages with a
> > click
> >
> > This addon allows installing Debian packages from iceweasel, firefox,
> > opera or konqueror just clicking on a web link.
> > For this to work, links need to have an url beginning with apt://
> > This package does not install the packages or download them from the
> > web sites, it just launches apt, passing the package name to install as
> > a parameter to apt.
> > Some screenshots to see how it works are available at
> > http://gambas.gnulinex.org/linexapt/
>
> This is very interesting!  However, from that spanish screenshots, it is
> not totally clear to me how this works.  I see a download progress bar,
> is this part of aptlinex, or already some other application?  Did you
> consider using gdebi for installation (which has been developped with
> installing a single .deb including its dependencies in mind, I think).

It was developed before gdebi was in Debian , this application first
check if the package is already installed, then ask the user if you want
to reinstall or dismiss. If there is a new version it will install it.

> Once deployed in stable, it would be very nice to have apt:// links on
> packages.debian.org for easy installation after browsing/searching
> through (maybe along with some fancy icon like you see for the
> 1-Click-Install from OpenSuse on some blogs).

At linex we have been using it in some wikis with information about
games or educational apps  (check the url at the "aptéalo" button at
http://linexedu.educarex.es/index.php/Matem%C3%A1ticas or
http://juegalinex.linex.org/juegawiki/index.php/Armagetron)

In fact, my initial idea was combining it with then nice debtags search
at http://debtags.alioth.debian.org/ssearch.html . If you also include
some screenshot for games, or desktop applications it could be nice for
end users.

Regards.