Re: dpkg semi-hijack - an announcement (also, triggers)

On Sun, Mar 09, 2008 at 11:28:13AM +0000, Ian Jackson wrote:
> With this message I am unilaterally declaring myself a maintainer of
> dpkg, and also declaring that Guillem is no longer a maintainer.

I find this unacceptable. This kind of situations are precisely those
in which people should resort to the Technical Committee.

Your main argument for not doing so is that it would take to long. This
is not a justification for bypassing TC and, de facto, declaring
yourself the "winner" of the dispute.

I do care about having triggers in Lenny, but you have no proof of
either of the following 2 facts:

1) the TC won't decide on time for Lenny

2) Guillem won't have time to review and integrate your changes on time
   for Lenny

No matter what, the default should be to *wait*, not to decide you are
on the right side and upload (with poor results apparently).

Your other argument for not resorting to the TC is that you are part of
it. I won't see a conflict of interest in you resorting the issue to the
TC at all. But of course I would expect from you that you won't take
part at all in the TC decision on the matter (no post to the bug log, no
private post, no vote).

Please resort to the TC and, in the meantime, revert your changes.

Cheers.

zack@{upsilon.cc,cs.unibo.it,debian.org}  -<%>-  http://upsilon.cc/zack/