Re: How to cope with patches sanely

On Sat, 1 Mar 2008 14:16:20 +0100, martin f krafft <madduck@debian.org> said:

> also sprach Florian Weimer <fw@deneb.enyo.de> [2008.03.01.1334 +0100]:
>> The nice thing about Manoj's proposal that we (as in "the security
>> team", for instance) need not care if the Debian maintainer thinks
>> that upstream needs pristine topic branches, an integration branch, a
>> weave, or whatever.  We just patch the source and be done with it.
>> This isn't a problem as long as we tell upstream to pick patches from
>> unstable (which they will likely do anyway because that version is
>> much closer to theirs most of the time).

> A quilt series should satisfy those needs as well. If not, please
> explain where it falls short.

        A quilt series is hard to generate from my setup; branch diffs
 are not.  A quilt series only becomes viable as an exclusive source
 package format if it can be created in all cases; forcing people to
 abandon all their work flows and migrate to quilt is a non-starter.

        If we are not talking about exclusively using quilt, then I do
 not understand your question -- sure, some people use quilt. Some of us
 do not. Unless there is a way to generate a quilt series for the rest
 of us easily, we are not going to have quilt in all source packages.

        Why is this so hard to understand?

Time is an illusion perpetrated by the manufacturers of space.