Re: binary vs "real debian" packages

Le Fri, Feb 29, 2008 at 03:05:58PM -0800, William Francis a écrit :

> my contents are not source (configure, make, etc), rather I'm more
> interested in the preinst/postinst scripts, the Depends part of the
> control file, a few config files and placing a few scripts on the
> filesystem that require no compiling.

> Further, I understand the concept of an upstream provider and
> understand that I don't have one in this case

Dear William,

If you do not plan to release the packaged files separately, you may be
interested in the "native" format of source packages, in which the
debian directory and the upstream files are contained in the same tar
archive. The unpacked source package looks the same be it native or not,
so general tutorials are good readings anyway. You can refer to the new
maintainer guide for instance:

http://www.debian.org/doc/maint-guide/

If all you have to do is move files, you can shortcut a lot of the
complexity by using the common debian build system (CDBS):

http://perso.duckcorp.org/duck/cdbs-doc/cdbs-doc.xhtml

If you have more questions, they may be more relevant on the
debian-mentors@lists.debian.org mailign list:

http://lists.debian.org/debian-mentors/

Have a nice week-end,

--