Re: Google Summer of Code 2008

On 2/29/08, Lucas Nussbaum <lucas@lucas-nussbaum.net> wrote:
> Do you have any proof that GSOC students worked 35-40 hours a week on
>  their GSOC projects? You probably don't. So again, no real data to back
>  either claim. We have different opinions, and have to live with it.

I don't think there's anything in the GSoC that requires 35-40 hours
per week. From some of the postings on the students list last year it
seems like 20 hours per week is more common. I think Google leaves
this up to the mentoring organization and students to work out for
themselves, so if we require 35-40 hours per week, we should obtain
assurances from the students during the application process that they
have that time to commit.

>  Frankly, if I were in the position of a GSOC student, I would probably
>  find it very hard to work 35-40 hours per week on my project, while I
>  could squash some items off my TODO list. Maybe the whole problem is
>  that I'm less disciplined than our students ;)

I was a GSoC student for Debian last year. I estimate I put in close
to 35 hours per week, but it may have been closer to 30. This year I
don't plan on applying as I'm finishing my thesis, though by your
suggestion I would not be accepted anyway as I am at the DAM stage of
NM.

I also maintain several packages, and was in the NM queue when I
applied to GSoC last year. I consider packaging to be a different
style of contribution than my GSoC project, as all my packages were
just packaging, while my project is my own code (and now a 'native'
package). I certainly did work on my other packages during the summer,
but just like this work doesn't interfere with school or full-time
jobs, it didn't interfere with my GSoC project.

That's just me though, and I can certainly see how a student who's
also a Debian contributor could be sidetracked by other things. I
think it's up to the mentor and others (maybe admins) to make sure the
student does not get sidetracked, and to end the project if this
happens all the time. However, I don't see the need to ban DDs from
the GSoC, as my previous packaging and Debian experience was essential
to completing my project.

Cameron