Re: conditional dependency?

On Tue, Feb 26, 2008 at 12:03:06PM +0000, Stephen Gran wrote:
> This one time, at band camp, Petter Reinholdtsen said:
> > [Stephen Gran]
> > > I really hope that's not true.  There are many useful use cases for
> > > static linking when you're building for constrained or otherwise not
> > > quite sane environments that IMHO we should continue to support.
> > > Since in the main it's not that hard to do the right thing, it's
> > > also of limited value to discourage it.
> >
> > It is worth to note that glibc do not work properly with static
> > linking.  All functions using PAM and NSS do not work, so binaries
> > using such functions will fail when presented with incompatible
> > modules on disk.
>
> That's pretty much always been the case with at least NSS, by design.
> That being said, the interface to nss hasn't particularly changed in so
> long I'm not sure this is an issue, in practice.

Broken glibc due to static linking is an issue at least weekly on
embedded linux mailing lists (eg buildroot). ie it's still an issue.

What are the constrained environments where you think static linking
would be useful? I'm developing embedded systems and I prefer shared
libraries - unless you have only one application using a particular
library then you will save space.

Hamish