Re: How to cope with patches sanely

On Sun, 24 Feb 2008, Charles Plessy wrote:
> Le Sun, Feb 24, 2008 at 10:47:05AM +0100, Raphael Hertzog a écrit :
> >
> > > - When modifying a package that uses dpatch, quilt or simple-patchsys,
> > >   developpers have to find out by themselves if the target for patching
> > >   the sources is patch, apply-patches or apply-dpatches.
> >
> > Once the new dpkg-source format is in standard use, those rules disappear
> > completely... because they are no more needed during build.
>
> I must have missed something. I thought that the new format was to keep
> the debian directory in a tar.gz format. With this format, people who
> want to modify upstream sources will have to use a patch system. What is
> the plan to make the patch targets in debian/rules unneeded?

If the patch are applied by default, there's no need to apply them again
at build time. Then quilt/dpatch tools will only be used by the packager
to modify/updated its patch serie during maintenance but the tool won't be
needed during recompilation (and thus doesn't need to be in
Build-Depends).

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog