Re: How to cope with patches sanely

On Sun, 24 Feb 2008, Charles Plessy wrote:
> Therefore we did not make progress since the beginning of the
> discussion:

You're trying to make progress somewhere where it's not expected.

> - The most efficient way to deal with changes to the sources for the
>   packager is to use his preferred tools.

That should stay as it is.

> - We do not know if the whole concept of breaking up the monolithic diff
>   into logical units is something that the persons who often do NMUs in
>   Debian are intersted in.

Seperating logical changes has always been useful to understand the
changes and is thus required for any independant reviewer who hasn't
access to the VCS where the changes are reviewable separately.

> - When modifying a package that uses dpatch, quilt or simple-patchsys,
>   developpers have to find out by themselves if the target for patching
>   the sources is patch, apply-patches or apply-dpatches.

Once the new dpkg-source format is in standard use, those rules disappear
completely... because they are no more needed during build.

Frank Lichtenheld and myself have started hacking on dpkg-source with the
goal to support an extend wig&pen and possibly even more. I'd encourage
interested parties to subscribe to debian-dpkg to follow discussions
there.

http://lists.debian.org/debian-dpkg/2008/02/msg00012.html
http://lists.debian.org/debian-dpkg/2008/02/msg00036.html

We're working in the "sourcev3" branch of dpkg's git repo. We've only
doing some ground work for now, but we've been doing good progress and I
expect the work on new features to start pretty soon.

http://git.debian.org/?p=dpkg/dpkg.git;a=shortlog;h=sourcev3

(Subscribe to the PTS with "cvs" keyword and you'll get git commit notice
in live :-))

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog