Re: Lintian over sensitivity?

Ciao Giacomo,

Il giorno Thu, 21 Feb 2008 10:46:35 +0100
"Giacomo A. Catenazzi" <cate@debian.org> ha scritto:

> David Paleino wrote:
>
> > Not really. AFAIK "(C)" has no legal validity, while "Copyright" and "©"
> > have.
>
> I really don't agree:
> "(C)" is a symbol, as "ff", "fl", "..." are each one single symbol!
> The same with "THIS IS ITALIC".

IANAL, but I've read what I stated somewhere on the net. After some googling:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright_symbol

Citation:

"Because the © symbol has long been unavailable on typewriters and ASCII-based
computer systems, it has been common to approximate this symbol with the
characters (c). However, this is not legally recognized as a symbol for
copyright."

I know Wikipedia is not a "secure source" for information, but Lars
Wirzenius posted a far more reliable link in this thread:

http://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ03.html

> Many of you are too young to have learned the writing convention on
> typewriter, but probably the judges know this convention a lot better
> as us.
> In future, with a wider adoption of Unicode and better
> typewriter/vi/emacs/word-processors, "(C)" could become a
> three symbols sequence, in other words: one ASCII character is
> one symbol, but we are not in such world.

Currently, as stated in the links above, "(C)" is not a legal symbol.

> Anyway my reply and most of this thread is a demonstration of:
> Color of the bikeshed theory (
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_of_the_bikeshed )

Lol, true :)

Ciao,