Re: Lintian over sensitivity?

David Paleino wrote:
Il giorno Wed, 20 Feb 2008 18:44:13 +0200
Shachar Shemesh <shachar@debian.org> ha scritto:

Fakeroot-ng is copyrighted (C) 2007-2008 by Shachar Shemesh

At least superficially, the copyright file lives up to all of the requirements that lintian asks for.

Lintian version 1.23.45

Changing the line to read:
Copyright (C) 2007-2008 by Shachar Shemesh
pacifies lintian, but I still think this is over sensitivity on its behalf.

Not really. AFAIK "(C)" has no legal validity, while "Copyright" and "©" have.

I really don't agree:
"(C)" is a symbol, as "ff", "fl", "..." are each one single symbol!
The same with "THIS IS ITALIC".

Many of you are too young to have learned the writing convention on
typewriter, but probably the judges know this convention a lot better
as us.
In future, with a wider adoption of Unicode and better
typewriter/vi/emacs/word-processors, "(C)" could become a
three symbols sequence, in other words: one ASCII character is
one symbol, but we are not in such world.

Anyway my reply and most of this thread is a demonstration of:
Color of the bikeshed theory ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_of_the_bikeshed )

ciao
	cate