Re: Meaning of the "Altering package upload rules"

Hi,

On Wed, 13 Feb 2008, Kapil Hari Paranjape wrote:
> I was wondering how to interpret the GR altering upload rules
> (http://www.debian.org/vote/2007/vote_002) in practical terms.
>
> I suppose this means that one can upload a <pkg-ver>_multi.changes
> file containing <pkg-ver>_<arch>.deb for multiple values
> of <arch> providing one has access to all these architectures.
>
> Does it also mean that one can (later) do a binary-only upload
> of a <pkg-ver>_<arch>.changes providing that the package
> has not yet been built on the buildd's for <arch>? (Providing
> that one is building from the same sources, of course!)

Yes. The full story was that some DD did setup non-official buildd
for some arch where the official buildd weren't keeping up (or were badly
managed). Thus they started to do many binary-only uploads. In response to
this, the buildd maintainers/ftpmasters (elmo/neuro) blocked their
privileges to do binary-only uploads.

This GR reverse the decision of buildd maintainers/ftpmasters and allows
them to do binary-only uploads.

That said, there are good reasons why one shouldn't do (massive)
binary-uploads (reproducibility of builds on official buildd => important
for the security team which will have to make builds of packages on the
official buildd during lifetime of the stable release, availability of
logs in buildd.debian.org). Thus refrain from doing this unless it's
really needed and only if you didn't manage to solve the problem by
communicating with the official buildd maintainer.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog