Re: dash bug which is affecting release goal

On Sun, 2008-02-10 at 18:12 -0800, Mike Bird wrote:
> On Sun February 10 2008 15:54:36 Thomas Bushnell BSG wrote:
> > Or to follow Colin's suggestion from the policy discussion a few years
> > ago, and grant a special exception, carefully crafted, for particular
> > shell builtins.  I have no objection to that solution.
>
> As a Debian user rather than a DD I hope that Debian will ensure that
> this solution has absolutely no effect on non-Debian scripts which
> use #!/bin/sh and (perhaps unconsciously) expect test to work as in bash.

I'm afraid, that the problem here is just that.  Debian doesn't promise
that /bin/sh is bash.  Scripts which need bash are supposed to specify
bash.  At least, that's the theory.

> This applies to everything from tarballs of packages which are not yet
> in Debian to the dozens of tiny custom scripts that everyone has for
> backups or nagios extensions or adding users or emptying cameras etc etc.

Yes, that's right.

I think the idea of making dash the default /bin/sh is sure to be a
disaster.  But I have no power in that regard.  I can only hope I'm
wrong.

Thomas