Re: dash bug which is affecting release goal

On Sun February 10 2008 15:54:36 Thomas Bushnell BSG wrote:
> Or to follow Colin's suggestion from the policy discussion a few years
> ago, and grant a special exception, carefully crafted, for particular
> shell builtins.  I have no objection to that solution.

As a Debian user rather than a DD I hope that Debian will ensure that
this solution has absolutely no effect on non-Debian scripts which
use #!/bin/sh and (perhaps unconsciously) expect test to work as in bash.

This applies to everything from tarballs of packages which are not yet
in Debian to the dozens of tiny custom scripts that everyone has for
backups or nagios extensions or adding users or emptying cameras etc etc.

Not everyone writes scripts to the same high standards as Debian but it
would still be very unfortunate if a Debian update broke them.

--Mike Bird