Re: Binaries with the same name

On Sun, Feb 10, 2008 at 12:51:46PM +0100, David Paleino wrote:
> Il giorno Sun, 10 Feb 2008 13:23:47 +0200
> Lars Wirzenius <liw@iki.fi> ha scritto:
>
> > On su, 2008-02-10 at 11:52 +0100, David Paleino wrote:
> > > I believe I can claim the use of the generic name "translate".
> >
> > I think I wasn't clear enough in my previous mail: I don't think anyone
> > should use the generic name "translate", and the fact that it is already
> > being used is unfortunately. I definitely think you should pick another
> > name.
>
> Ok, then. Is translate-bin a right choice? Or is that too generic?

Since -bin in itself is generic, too (after all, it could probably be
appended to all programs), the result is as generic as the both parts ;)

Making a name less generic requires either qualifying it with some kind
of detail (e.g. gnome-, k, g, qt for the desktop environments and
toolkits) or better yet choose a name that has nothing to do with its
use (e.g. iceweasel).

If you want to keep the name close to the library name, you could
probably choose something like libtranslate-bin, although I personaly
find that ugly.

Gruesse,
--
Frank Lichtenheld <djpig@debian.org>